The Belgian Malinois is one of four closely related shepherding breeds that were developed in Belgium during the 1800s. These athletic animals became sought after by herdsmen as tireless herding dogs capable of directing any type of livestock, large or small. Since then, adaptable Belgian Malinois dogs have expanded their influence into nearly every canine career path, becoming renowned for their contributions to military and police work, search and rescue, service dog work, and many other jobs for dogs. This is a hardworking, intense breed of dog that is absolutely devoted to its owners and trainers.
The Complete Guide to the Belgian Malinois will become your go-to guide as you navigate the challenges of raising your spirited Belgian Malinois pup into a confident and dependable canine companion. This guidebook is packed with valuable knowledge covering everything from your first few days home with your dog to caring for your aging Malinois. Learn the answers to crucial questions such as:
- Is a Belgian Malinois the same as a Belgian Shepherd?
- Is this the right breed for me?
- How do I prepare my home for a busy Belgian Malinois?
- Which training methods are most effective for working with the Belgian Malinois?
These highly intelligent dogs manage to be both exceptionally easy and remarkably challenging to train. While they will pick up commands quickly, they can also be headstrong and will often test their trainers. Living with an active and strong-willed Belgian Malinois requires determination and dedication, but those who choose to embark on this adventure are often rewarded with a staunch companion with exemplary decorum in public. Gain essential information about owning a Belgian Malinois, including:
- The history of the Belgian Malinois
- The Belgian Malinois at home and at work
- How to find and select your new Malinois companion
- Preparing your family for a Belgian Malinois
- Household dangers—indoors and out
- What to expect the first few weeks at home
- Introducing your new Belgian Malinois to existing pets
- House-training the Belgian Malinois
- The importance of socialization and training
- Essential and advanced training techniques
- Mental and physical exercise ideas for your Malinois
- Grooming the Belgian Malinois
- Belgian Malinois-specific health and wellness information for every life stage
If you are looking for a running companion, an active family dog, or a career canine, a Belgian Malinois may fit the bill. If, however, you are looking for a quiet couch potato to hang out with, this is probably not the breed for you. Becoming a pet parent to an intensely driven dog like the Belgian Malinois is not for the faint of heart, but for those who choose to put in the work, it is well worth the time and effort. This all-inclusive manual to the Belgian Malinois breed will give you the techniques and insights you need to keep your dynamic dog happy, healthy, and well-behaved.
This comprehensive guidebook is a must-have book for anyone who loves or lives with a Belgian Malinois!