As of 2020, the Labrador Retriever breed has topped the American Kennel Club’s Popular Dog Breeds list for 19 years running, and for good reason. This athletic breed is almost universally outgoing, eager to try new things, and equipped with a strong desire to please people. This is a breed of dog that can adapt to any situation; Labrador Retrievers have become military heroes, field trial champions, famous movie stars, and more.
The Labrador is a good fit for either novice or veteran pet parents, but their exuberance and athleticism may be too much for some individuals. This guide will give you all the information you need not only to decide if a Labrador Retriever is the right fit for your household, but also to guide you to the right individual dog, and how to train it to be a well mannered canine citizen. In these pages, you will discover the answers to such crucial questions as:
- Is a Labrador Retriever the right dog for me?
- How do I choose the right Labrador for my needs?
- How do I prepare my home for an active, athletic Lab?
- What training methods are most effective for Labrador Retrievers?
The Complete Guide to Labrador Retrievers, by respected British veterinarian Jo de Klerk, provides valuable information on a wide range of essential topics. You will find yourself reaching for this manual over and over again throughout your Labrador’s life, gaining indispensable knowledge on how to raise your Labrador Retriever pup to be a healthy, happy, and well behaved canine companion. This book delves into nearly every aspect of the Labrador Retriever breed, including:
- The history of the Labrador Retriever
- How to select a good breeder
- Choosing your Lab from a rescue or shelter
- Lab-proofing your home
- Training do’s and don’ts for the Labrador
- What to expect the first few days home
- Housetraining your Labrador Retriever
- The importance of mental and physical exercise
- Training and socialization techniques for your Labrador Retriever
- Common behavior issues for Labs (and how to prevent them)
- How to choose the best veterinarian for your dog
- Health and wellness information for all stages
- Working, showing, or breeding your Labrador Retriever
- The aging Labrador
Labrador Retrievers are athletic, outgoing canines who can excel in any role. While they do require a little more exercise and attention than many other breeds, those who choose to share their lives with Labradors are richly rewarded with a loyal and loving companion who is always up for the next adventure. From choosing a breeder to caring for your senior pet, this book will be there to show you how to give your Labrador Retriever a fantastic and full life.
This comprehensive guidebook by veterinarian Jo de Klerk is required reading for anyone who loves Labs!