The Shar-Pei is an intelligent and self-assured breed of dog that was developed over two thousand years ago somewhere in ancient China. Shar-Pei were employed as exemplary guardians. Guinness World Records declared Shar-Pei the world’s rarest breed in 1978, but the dogs’ stoic and devoted nature has earned them an equally devoted following. These ancient animals have become more popular in recent decades, and there are now many dog breeders in the United States who specialize in these unique canines.
In one convenient publication, The Complete Guide to the Shar-Pei provides all the information you need to raise your Shar-Pei pup into a regal, well-mannered adult. You will turn to this comprehensive guidebook for solid advice throughout your Shar-Pei’s lifetime, from your first foray into screening breeders to your precious pooch’s final years.
This comprehensive guidebook to the Shar-Pei breed answers crucial questions, such as:
- Is a Shar-Pei the right breed for me?
- Which training methods are most effective for an obstinate Shar-Pei?
- How do I best prepare my family to live with a Shar-Pei?
- What common mistakes should I avoid when raising a Shar-Pei puppy?
Shar-Pei tend to be cool and collected at home, making them generally easy to live with, but they also tend to be strong-willed and may be aggressive towards other dogs. In these pages is everything that you need to not only decide if this is the right breed for your household but also how to ensure that your wrinkly little pup grows into a healthy and confident adult dog. Learn more about the history of Shar-Pei, what makes them tick, and tips and techniques to help your dog reach his highest potential, including:
- The unique temperament of the Chinese Shar-Pei
- How to choose the right breeder
- Selecting an adult Shar-Pei
- Budgeting for the first year
- How to puppy-proof your home, inside and out
- Shar-Pei and the multipet household
- Techniques to make house-training easy
- The tremendous importance of socialization
- Effective training methods for Shar-Pei
- Preventing and extinguishing unwanted behaviors
- When to enlist a professional trainer
- Health concerns common to the Chinese Shar-Pei
- Bathing and grooming best practices for your wrinkly pup
- Caring for your aging Shar-Pei
While not the best choice for a novice pet owner, the Chinese Shar-Pei is an ideal pet for the experienced pet parent who is looking for a loyal and trustworthy companion that is naturally fairly quiet—except for some world-class snoring—and doesn’t require a great deal of exercise. A properly socialized Shar-Pei makes a noble and self-possessed guard dog who will exhibit great loyalty toward his family. This guide to the Chinese Shar-Pei gives you all the tools necessary to gain your Shar-Pei’s respect and trust and give him the best life possible.
This wide-ranging guidebook is a must-have addition to any Shar-Pei parent’s library!
There are no reviews yet.